Plank Background

Monday, August 16, 2010

From Registered Nurse to Farmer

If you know me, you may not believe what I, along with my husband, have been embarking upon these days.  Never would I have thought myself to become what I am right now.  To give you some background,  I have been a registered nurse for the last 8 years working with sick people to newborn babes, from surgery to home health.  With that said, what I am doing now is a far cry from the maternity ward, stethoscopes, specimens or IV's.  I have officially become a farmer.  And not just any farmer, but a Pumpkin Farmer.  What?!  I have been saying the same thing to myself for the past 3 months when my husband and I began handplanting our pumpkins seeds.  And that really isn't even the beginning.  My husband used a hand tiller to prepare the land, only for it to be washed and soaked by Tennessee's Flood of 2010.  Thankfully, we did not have any seeds planted at the time, and were blessed with the generosity of someone tilling the land with an actual tractor the second go round instead of my husband having to use the hand tiller again which originally took him a week.  (The tractor got it done in about 30 minutes.)  So, here we are in the midst of an attempt at growing enough pumpkins to have a pick your own patch this fall of 2010.  It has been long hours, excruciating heat, and mostly a lot of praying that has brought us this far.  I hope you will join me and my family on our journey to sharing a little bit of land, some big orange fruit, and  faith that God provides in ways we could not have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment